There we go, Safari 5 has been released. Check it out. It’s faster, has many new features. It’s faster, features the clutter free reader, and more.
Free download here.
Here’s a summary of the new features:
- Safari Reader: Click on the Reader icon to view articles on the web on a single, clutter free webpage
- Bing Search Option: While I see no use for this, as Bing has shown some biased results in the past. Also, using Glims, this feature is already available to whoever wants it.
- Improved HTML5 support. Safari already has some decent HTML5 support, but Safari 5 is supposed to improve that with over a dozen new HTML5 features.
- Safari Developer Tools: A new Timeline Panel in the Web Inspector shows how Safari interacts with a website and ids areas for optimization. Also, there will be new keyboard shortcuts that make navigation easier
- Smarter address field: This will allow Safari to match text against titles of webpages in history and bookmarks
- Better tab settings: Open pages in new tabs instead of new windows
- Hardware acceleration for Windows: Windows will take advantage of the graphics card to smoothly display media on the PC as well as the Mac.
- History to include date
- Private browsing Icon displays when private browsing is in use. It can be clicked to turn the feature off